The Former Synagogue of Rouffach (Alsace): a Prototype of Jewish Medieval Architecture

by Carla Heym

(English/Deutsch/Français)


East facade of the former synagogue with the central oculus, seen from the street. The synagogue building is the centrepiece of the medieval Jewish quarters and was usually built at the back of the housing blocks away from the streets, as can still be seen in Rouffach (Image: Heym, 2020)

Façade est de l’ancienne synagogue avec l’oculus central, vue de la rue. Le bâtiment de la synagogue est la pièce maîtresse des quartiers juifs médiévaux et était généralement construite au fond des blocs d’habitation et en retrait des rues, comme on peut encore l’observer à Rouffach. (Image : Heym, 2020)
Ostfassade der ehemaligen Synagoge mit mittigem Okulus, von der Straße gesehen. Der Synagogenbau ist das Herzstück mittelalterlicher Judenviertel und wurde meist tief im Wohnblock abseits der Straßen gebaut, wie in Rufach noch gut zu erkennen ist. (Bild: Heym, 2020)


The former synagogue of Rouffach (German: Rufach) is one of the oldest preserved Jewish buildings in Europe. Although some knowledge of the history of the Jewish community in Rouffach is available from written sources, the building itself has not been analysed except for a study by the architect and curator of historical monuments Charles (Karl) Winkler in 1906. The principal hurdle to a thorough building investigation was the fact that the building is privately owned and used as a residence. However, in 2020 the owners agreed to a one-off survey of the building. The goals of the survey were to determine clues to the building’s history and to verify the results of Winkler’s study of the building. The project was carried out as part of a master’s thesis in the field of heritage conservation at the Otto-Friedrich University in Bamberg and was supported by the regional archaeological service SRA Strasbourg and the association B’nai Brith Hirschler Strasbourg.

In addition to documenting the findings, deformation-accurate plans were drawn up and dendrochronological samples were taken from the ground floor and the attic. Dendrochronology is a method of dating wood by analysing drill cores. Based on the relative width of the annual rings and via comparison with reference chronologies, it is possible to determine the felling year of the tree from which the wood originated.  Since before the industrial revolution timbers were installed “unseasoned”, i.e. shortly after felling, the felling date roughly corresponds to the year of construction. Fortunately, all samples from the former synagogue proved to be datable and brought new insights into the history of the structure.

The synagogue was built in the second half of the 13th century. It has the shape of a rectangle oriented from west to east and slightly elongated, its external dimensions are 11.3 x 12.7 m. The walls are about 70-80 cm thick and are built with regular flat rubble stones and coarse mortar. The ground floor walls have numerous niches and a cornice for the light fitting; the old tympanum of the portal with the inscription ‘The stones // of the doors of the // house of God provided // David S.d.R. Israel’ has been preserved on a door lintel. Two upper floors have been habitable since the Renaissance. The east wall of the second floor has a oculus with cinquefoil visible from the outside.


Proposed reconstruction of the synagogue in the second half of the 13th century, based on new knowledge.
Isometric views from the southwest and northeast (Heym 2020)

Rekonstruktionsvorschlag der Synagoge in der 2. Hälfte des 13. Jh., basierend auf den neugewonnenen Erkenntnissen. Isometrische Ansichten von Südwesten und Nordosten. (Heym 2020)
Proposition de reconstruction de la synagogue dans la 2e moitié du 13e siècle, basée sur les nouvelles connaissances acquises. Vues isométriques depuis le sud-ouest et le nord-est. (Heym 2020)

Winkler’s 1906 study may have provided the first insights into the history of the building, but as was common in his time, he mixed surveys and reconstructions in the same representations. The floor plan of the synagogue recorded by Winkler corresponds more to a hypothetical original state than to the findings; among other things, the number of niches and their positioning can largely be attributed to the author’s fantasy. Furthermore, the building conservator was presumably unable to observe the upper finish of the east façade at close range, as he drew the oculus without a cinquefoil, and did not document any of the window openings at the level of the ceiling above the 1st floor recorded by the owners during renovation work in the 1980s. In addition to these openings, which are now hidden under the plaster, a double lancet window is preserved in the west façade at the same height. Also around 1980, ceramic pots from the 13th century were discovered in the walls of the second floor, which probably served as ‘sound vessels’. Such ‘acoustic pots’ were installed in places of worship in order to improve the room’s ambient sounds. On the basis of this discovery, the roof of the synagogue was probably of a similar height to that of today, contrary to Winkler’s assertion. The room thus ended in a flat ceiling with a hipped or gabled roof. There could not have been a wooden vault, otherwise some of the sound pots would have been in the attic. Further findings were documented for the first time in the course of this work: Three annexes flanked the sacred space, there was most probably a prayer room for women on the north side – the recesses in the walls on the facades as well as the bricked-up horizontal slit openings on the inner side of the north wall prove this. The entrance was in the west area of the south façade, probably through a portal surmounted by a pointed trefoil arch, the remains of which are preserved in reuse in the southern annex.

Based on the urban and historical context of the synagogue building, theories on the development of the Rouffach Jewish quarter in the Middle Ages can be formulated. The rounded corners of the roughly square housing block in which the synagogue is located are probably indicative of an early Jewish quarter, the boundaries of which were perhaps defined as early as the beginning of the 13th century. The advantageous location on the main traffic road, at the gateway to the first urban core of Rouffach, as well as a recently discovered written source, which suggests a community around 1200, point in this direction. The “Impasse des Juifs” is located on the city wall, but very close to the city centre and its market place; it may have been laid out during the planning of the fortifications in the first half of the 13th century. The construction of a new and spacious synagogue could be related to the enlargement of the Jewish quarter.

Written sources tell us that the devastating pogrom of 1338 marked the end of the Jewish community in Rouffach. The conversion into a dwelling house, which is so characteristic of the building to this day, took place about a century later, around 1453/54d – this is proven by the dendrochronological dating of the carpentry and the ceiling above the ground floor as well as the stylistic dating of an former dining room (“stube”) on the first floor in the 15th century. The conversion into a dwelling house has a remarkably well preserved structure and bears witness to a well-thought-out concept for the redesign of the building. The stube and the roof structure are typical elements of 15th-century civil construction; together with the preserved ground plans of the upper floors, they reflect the cross-regional architectural style of this period and thus testify to the homogeneity of the building language in the southern Upper Rhine Valley. The two-storey annex to the south of the old synagogue cannot have been built at this time, however, and may have been added in the 18th century.

Thanks to the relatively undamaging changes to the building in the 15th century and the continuous use of the site since then, the old synagogue in Rouffach is extraordinarily well preserved. The revisions of Winkler’s hypotheses as well as the new knowledge gained about the annexes, the location of the entrance and the acoustic pots give the picture of a remarkable Jewish building from the end of the 13th century. The former synagogue of Rouffach has a unique architectural history, but too little is known about the integration of the building into a Jewish quarter, and more generally about the role of the Jewish community in the urban development process.

About Carla Heym: I studied civil engineering at the Technical University of Munich and Heritage Conservation at the Otto-Friedrich University in Bamberg. My master’s thesis focussed on the medieval synagogue of Rouffach. I am currently working as a building archaeologist and civil engineer for a company specialized in heritage restauration in Mainz.

Die mittelalterliche Synagoge in Rufach (Elsass) : ein Musterbau mittelalterlicher jüdischer Baukunst

von Carla Heym

Die ehemalige Synagoge in Rufach (frz. Rouffach) gehört zu den ältesten erhaltenen jüdischen Bauten in Europa. Einiges ist zwar dank schriftlicher Quellen über die Geschichte der jüdischen Gemeinde in Rufach bekannt, dennoch blieb das Gebäude selbst bis auf eine Analyse des Architekten und Denkmalpflegers Charles (Karl) Winkler 1906 unerforscht. Die prinzipielle Hürde zu einer gründlichen Bauuntersuchung war die Tatsache, dass sich das Gebäude in Privatbesitz befindet und als Wohnhaus genutzt wird. Im Jahr 2020 willigten die Eigentümer jedoch in eine einmalige Bauaufnahme ein. Ziele der Untersuchung waren es, Hinweise auf die baugeschichtliche Entwicklung zu ermitteln und die Ergebnisse der Studie Winklers zum Bau aus dem Jahr 1906 zu überprüfen. Das Projekt wurde im Rahmen einer Masterarbeit des Studiengangs Denkmalpflege an der Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg durchgeführt und vom archäologischen Landesamt SRA Strasbourg sowie vom Verein B’nai Brith Hirschler Strasbourg unterstützt.

Neben einer Befunddokumentation wurden verformungsgetreue Pläne erstellt und dendrochronologische Proben im Erd- und Dachgeschoss entnommen. Die Dendrochronologie ist eine Datierungsmethode von Hölzern durch die Analyse von Bohrkernen. Anhand der relativen Breite der Jahresringe und über dem Vergleich mit Referenzchronologien kann das Fälljahr des Baums bestimmt werden, aus dem das Holz stammt. Da Hölzer bis zur industriellen Revolution „saftfrisch“, d.h. kurz nach der Fällung eingebaut wurden, entspricht das Fälldatum etwa dem Baujahr der Konstruktion. Alle Proben aus der ehemaligen Synagoge erwiesen sich erfreulicherweise als datierbar und brachten neue Erkenntnisse über die Geschichte des Bauwerks.

Die Synagoge wurde in der 2. Hälfte des 13. Jh. errichtet. Sie hat die Form eines geosteten, leicht gestreckten Rechtecks, ihre Außenmaße betragen 11,3 x 12,7 m. Die ca. 70-80 cm breiten Wände sind mit flachen, regelmäßig behauenen Bruchsteinen und sehr grobem Mörtel gemauert. Die Mauern des Erdgeschosses sind mit zahlreichen Nischen und einem Lichtergesims versehen; an einem Türsturz ist das frühere Portaltympanon mit der Inschrift „Die Steine // der Pforten des // Gotteshauses hat erworben // David S.d.R. Israel.“ erhalten geblieben. Zwei Obergeschosse sind seit der Neuzeit bewohnbar – die Ostwand des 2. Obergeschosses ist mit einem gemauerten Okulus mit eingeschriebenen Fünfpass versehen.

Winklers Studie aus dem Jahr 1906 konnte erste Erkenntnisse über die Geschichte des Gebäudes bringen, er vermischte jedoch, wie es zu seiner Zeit gängig war, in der gleichen Darstellung Baubefunde und Rekonstruktionsvorschläge. Der von Winkler aufgenommene Grundriss der Synagoge entspricht eher einem hypothetischen Originalzustand als der Befundlage; u.a. ist die Nischenanzahl und deren Positionierung größtenteils dem Bereich der Fantasie zuzuordnen. Der Baukonservator konnte weiterhin den oberen Abschluss der Ostfassade vermutlich nicht aus der Nähe beobachten, denn er zeichnete den Okulus ohne 5-Pass, und dokumentierte keine der von den Eigentümern während Renovierungsarbeiten in den 1980er Jahren aufgenommenen Fensteröffnungen auf Höhe der Decke über dem 1. Obergeschoss. Neben diesen heute wieder verputzten Öffnungen ist eine Doppelarkade in der Westfassade auf gleicher Höhe erhalten. Auch um 1980 wurden Keramiktöpfe des 13. Jh. in den Wänden des 2. Obergeschoss entdeckt, die vermutlich als Schallgefäße dienten. Solche Töpfe wurden zur vermeintlichen Verbesserung der Akustik in Sakralräumen eingebaut. Aufgrund dieses Befundes muss das Synagogendach wohl ähnlich zur heutigen Höhe angesetzt haben, anders als von Winkler behauptet. Der Raumabschluss erfolgte somit über eine Flachdecke mit einem Walm- oder Satteldach. Eine Holztonne konnte es wohl nicht gegeben haben, da manche Schallgefäße sich sonst im Dachgeschoss befunden hätten. Weitere Befunde konnten erstmals im Rahmen dieser Arbeit dokumentiert werden: Drei Anbauten flankierten den Sakralraum, an der Nordseite befand sich höchstwahrscheinlich ein Frauenbetraum – dafür sprechen Mauerrücksprünge an den Fassaden sowie zugemauerte, waagerechte Schlitzöffnungen auf der Innenseite der Nordwand. Die Erschließung erfolgte im Westbereich der Südfassade, vermutlich durch ein Portal mit spitzem Kleeblattbogen, dessen zweitverwendete Reste im südlichen Anbau erhalten sind.

Anhand des städtischen und geschichtlichen Kontexts des Synagogenbaus konnten Theorien zur Entwicklung des Rufacher Judenviertels im Mittelalter formuliert werden. Die abgerundeten Ecken des etwa quadratischen Wohnblocks, in dem sich die Synagoge befindet, sind wahrscheinlich ein Zeichen für eine frühe Judensiedlung, deren Abgrenzungen vielleicht schon Anfang des 13. Jh. definiert wurden; dafür spricht die vorteilhafte Lage an der Hauptverkehrsroute vor den Toren des ersten Stadtkerns von Rufach, sowie eine neulich entdeckte schriftliche Quelle, die eine Gemeinde um 1200 annehmen lässt. Die Judengasse befindet sich an der Stadtmauer, jedoch sehr nah am Stadtkern und seinem Marktplatz; möglicherweise wurde sie während der Planung der Befestigung in der ersten Hälfte des 13. Jh. angelegt. Der großflächige Neubau der Synagoge könnte mit der Vergrößerung des jüdischen Viertels zusammenhängen.

Aus schriftlichen Quellen ist bekannt, dass das verheerende Pogrom im Jahr 1338 das Ende der jüdischen Gemeinde in Rufach bedeutete. Der für das Gebäude bis heute so prägende Umbau zum Wohnhaus fand ca. ein Jahrhundert später, um 1453/54d statt – dies beweisen die dendrochronologische Datierung des Dachstuhls und der Decke über dem Erdgeschoss sowie die stilistische Datierung einer ehemaligen Tafelstube im 1. Obergeschoss im 15. Jh. Der Umbau zum Wohnhaus weist eine bemerkenswert einheitliche Struktur auf und zeugt von einem durchdachten Konzept für die Weiternutzung. Die erhaltene Stube und das Dach sind prägnante Elemente des Hausbaus aus dem 15. Jh.; zusammen mit den erhaltenen Grundrissen der Obergeschosse spiegeln sie den regionsübergreifenden Baustil dieser Epoche wider und zeugen somit von der Homogenität der Bausprache im südlichen Oberrheintal. Die Errichtung des zweigeschossigen Anbaus südlich der ehemaligen Synagoge kann aber nicht zu diesem Zeitpunkt geschehen sein, er wurde womöglich erst im 18. Jh. gebaut. Dank dem zerstörungsarmen Umbau zu einem Wohnhaus im 15. Jh. und der durchgehenden Weiternutzung des Gebäudes ist die ehemalige Synagoge von Rufach außerordentlich gut erhalten. Die Revisionen der Winklerschen Annahmen sowie die neuen gewonnenen Erkenntnisse zu den Anbauten, der Eingangssituation und den Schallgefäßen geben das Bild eines bemerkenswerten Synagogenbaus des ausgehenden 13. Jh. wieder. Die ehemalige Synagoge von Rufach verfügt über eine einzigartige Baugeschichte, allerdings ist noch zu wenig über die Einbindung des Gebäudes in ein jüdisches Viertel, und überhaupt über die Rolle der jüdischen Gemeinde im Stadtwerdungsprozess bekannt.

La synagogue médiévale de Rouffach (Alsace) : un prototype de l’architecture juive

Carla Heym

L’ancienne synagogue de Rouffach (allemand : Rufach) est l’un des plus anciens bâtiments juifs conservés en Europe. Bien que l’on connaisse quelque peu l’histoire de la communauté juive de Rouffach grâce aux sources écrites, le bâtiment lui-même n’a pas été analyse à l’exception d’une étude par l’architecte et conservateur des monuments historiques Charles (Karl) Winkler en 1906. Le bâtiment est une propriété privée et est actuellement habité. C’est ce fait qui s’est jusqu’à maintenant opposé à une étude plus approfondie – toutefois, en 2020, les propriétaires ont accepté à titre exceptionnel la réalisation d’un relevé de la construction. Les objectifs de l’enquête étaient d’identifier des indices sur l’évolution de l’histoire de la construction et de vérifier les résultats de l’étude de Winkler sur le bâtiment. Le projet a été réalisé dans le cadre d’un mémoire de master de la filière Conservation du patrimoine de l’université Otto-Friedrich de Bamberg et a été soutenu par le service régional archéologique SRA Strasbourg et l’association B’nai Brith Hirschler Strasbourg.

Outre une documentation des faits, des plans fidèles aux déformations ont été établis et des échantillons dendrochronologiques ont été prélevés au rez-de-chaussée et dans les combles. La dendrochronologie est une méthode de datation des bois par l’analyse de carottes. La largeur relative des anneaux de croissance et la comparaison avec des chronologies de référence permettent de déterminer l’année d’abattage de l’arbre dont provient le bois. Étant donné que, jusqu’à la révolution industrielle, les bois étaient placés “verts”, c’est-à-dire peu après leur abattage, la date d’abattage correspond à peu près à l’année de construction de la structure. Tous les échantillons prélevés dans l’ancienne synagogue se sont heureusement révélés datables et ont apporté de nouvelles informations sur l’histoire de l’édifice.

La synagogue a été construite dans la deuxième moitié du 13ème siècle. Elle a la forme d’un rectangle orienté d’ouest en est et légèrement allongé, ses dimensions extérieures sont de 11,3 x 12,7 m. Les murs, d’une épaisseur d’environ 70-80 cm, sont maçonnés avec des moellons plats de forme régulière et du mortier grossier. Les murs du rez-de-chaussée sont pourvus de nombreuses niches et d’une corniche accueillant le luminaire ; l’ancien tympan du portail avec l’inscription “Les pierres // des portes de la // maison de Dieu a fourni // David S.d.R. Israël” a été conservé sur un linteau de porte. Deux étages supérieurs sont habitables depuis la Renaissance – le mur est du deuxième étage est pourvu d’un oculus quintilobé visible depuis l’extérieur.

L’étude de Winkler de 1906 a pu apporter de premières connaissances sur l’histoire du bâtiment, mais il a mélangé, comme c’était courant à son époque, relevés et reconstitutions dans les mêmes représentations. Le plan de la synagogue tracé par Winkler correspond davantage à un état original hypothétique qu’à l’état des lieux ; entre autres, le nombre de niches et leur positionnement sont fantaisistes pour la plupart. En outre, le conservateur du bâtiment n’a probablement pas pu observer de près l’extrémité supérieure de la façade est, car il a dessiné l’oculus sans quintilobe, et n’a documenté aucune des ouvertures de fenêtres à hauteur du plafond au-dessus du premier étage, relevées par les propriétaires lors de travaux de rénovation dans les années 1980. Outre ces ouvertures aujourd’hui dissimulées sous l’enduit, une double arcade est conservée dans la façade ouest à la même hauteur. Vers 1980 également, des pots en céramique du 13e siècle ont été découverts dans les murs du 2e étage, ceux-ci servaient probablement de récipients sonores. De tels « pots acoustiques » étaient installés dans les lieux de culte afin d’en améliorer la sonorité. Sur la base de cette découverte, le toit de la synagogue devait probablement avoir une hauteur similaire à celle d’aujourd’hui, contrairement à ce qu’avait affirmé Winkler. La pièce se terminait donc par un plafond plat avec un toit en croupe ou en bâtière. Il ne pouvait pas y avoir de voûte en bois, sinon certains des pots acoustiques se seraient retrouvés dans les combles. D’autres découvertes ont pu être documentées pour la première fois dans le cadre de ce travail : Trois annexes flanquaient l’espace sacré, sur le côté nord se trouvait très probablement une salle de prière pour les femmes – les retraits des murs sur les façades ainsi que des ouvertures horizontales murées sur la face intérieure du mur nord le prouvent. L’accès se faisait dans la partie ouest de la façade sud, probablement par un portail surmonté d’un arc brisé trilobé, dont les restes sont conservés en réemploi dans l’annexe sud.

Le contexte urbain et historique de la construction de la synagogue a permis de formuler des théories sur le développement du quartier juif de Rouffach au Moyen Âge. Les angles arrondis du bloc d’habitation à peu près carré dans lequel se trouve la synagogue sont probablement le signe d’un quartier juif précoce, dont les délimitations ont peut-être été définies dès le début du 13e siècle. La situation avantageuse sur la route principale, aux portes du premier noyau urbain de Rouffach, ainsi qu’une source écrite récemment découverte, qui laisse supposer une communauté vers 1200, plaident en ce sens. L’Impasse des Juifs se trouve sur le mur d’enceinte, mais très proche du centre-ville et de sa place de marché ; il est possible qu’elle ait été aménagée lors de la planification des fortifications dans la première moitié du 13e siècle. La construction d’une nouvelle et spacieuse synagogue pourrait être liée à un agrandissement du quartier juif.

Des sources écrites nous apprennent que le pogrom dévastateur de 1338 a marqué la fin de la communauté juive de Rouffach. La transformation en maison d’habitation, si marquante pour le bâtiment jusqu’à nos jours, a eu lieu environ un siècle plus tard, vers 1453/54d – c’est ce que prouvent la datation dendrochronologique de la charpente et du plafond au-dessus du rez-de-chaussée ainsi que la datation stylistique d’une ancienne stube au premier étage au 15ème siècle. La transformation en maison d’habitation présente une structure remarquablement homogène et témoigne d’un concept bien pensé pour le réaménagement du bâtiment. La stube et la charpente en place sont des éléments typiques du bâti civil au 15e siècle ; avec les plans des étages supérieurs, ils reflètent le style architectural de cette époque, commun à plusieurs régions, et témoignent ainsi de l’homogénéité du langage architectural dans le sud de la vallée du Rhin supérieur. La construction de l’annexe à deux étages au sud de l’ancienne synagogue ne peut cependant pas avoir eu lieu à cette époque, elle a peut-être été ajoutée au 18ème siècle. Grâce aux changements peu destructeurs du bâti opérés au 15ème siècle et à l’utilisation continue du lieu depuis cette époque, l’ancienne synagogue de Rouffach est extraordinairement bien conservée. Les révisions des hypothèses de Winkler ainsi que les nouvelles connaissances acquises sur les annexes, la situation de l’entrée et les pots acoustiques donnent l’image d’un remarquable bâtiment juif de la fin du 13e siècle. L’ancienne synagogue de Rouffach dispose d’une histoire architecturale unique, mais on en sait encore trop peu sur l’intégration du bâtiment dans un quartier juif, et plus généralement sur le rôle de la communauté juive dans le processus de développement de la ville.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.